Android Box Turns Old TVs Into Smart TVs
By Tony Ibrahim | Thursday | 08/12/2011
Jaycar Electronics are now stocking an Android TV Media Player that will transform old TVs into the multimedia centre.
Click to enlarge
As its name suggests, the Smart Android TV Media Player operates on Android 2.3, albeit tailored for use on a TV. It endows old TVs with an internet browser, gaming capabilities, a media player, picture gallery, file manager and social networking tools, all packed into a neat black box. It is capable of Full HD 1080p playback, faithfully adapting high quality multimedia to the silver screen.
Powering this media box is an ARM Cortex A9 processor operating at an 800MHz frequency. Aiding it is 512MB of DDR2 RAM and 4GB of internal storage.
The unit features a SD slot, 2 USB ports, a HDMI port, an Ethernet port, composite and component inputs. It's available from Jaycar Electronics with a recommended retail price of $199.
Check out the next page for its specifications.
Click to enlarge
· Type: ARM Cortex A9
· Frequency: 800MHz
· RAM: DDR2-512MB
· Storage: NAND 4GB
· OS: Android 2.3
· Network connection by Ethernet/WIFI
· Includes HDMI cable, component cable, L/R RCA cable
· Video: DAT - MPEG - MPE - MPG - M2V - ISO - TS - VOB - AVI - MKV - MP4 - MOV - 3GP - 3GPP - FLC - AVI - WMA - TS - M2TS - M3TS - M4TS - M5TS - MTS - M4V - FLV - 3G2
· Audio: MP3 - WMA - WAV - OGG - OGA - FLAC - ALAC - APE - AAC - M4A - AC-3 - DTS - RM
Image: BMP, JPG, TIF, PNG, GIF
· Resolutions: 420p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
· Component (YPbPr):
· Composite video
· Left/Right RCA
· Coaxial RCA
· 1 x RJ45 port
· Wireless 802.11b/g/n
Dimensions: 210(L) x 171(W) x 35(H)mm
Apr/May 2011 issue
reviews the hot new iPhone attach device, the Zeppelin Air. And we look at what's going on in the tablet space...