Full HD, 3D - Meet Pana's X900
By Oonagh Reidy | Friday | 17/02/2012
Panasonic Australia launch new HC-X900M Full High Definition 3MOS camcorder in Norfolk Islands today.
The HC-X900M runs the next-gen 3MOS System Pro imaging system, the lens, sensor and engine have all been re-engineered, Panasonic said today.
This new system with three enhanced MOS sensors produces 1920 x 1080/50p Full HD video for excellent colour, detail and delivers bright recordings with minimum noise even in dim lighting.
Priced at $1799, the Panasonic HC-X900M hits this April.
The full 3D, HD capable camcorder with 3.5" LCD screen features a bright F1.5, 29.8mm wide-angle LEICA DICOMAR lens with 12x optical zoom - allowing for a wider-framed shot ideal for shooting landscapes and large groups of people. The lens has a new nano surface coating Technology, to reduce ghosting and flare.
Click to enlarge
The improved HYBRID O.I.S. + (Optical Image Stabilisation) allows users to capture crisp, images without blurring, in nearly every shooting situation and employs five-axis correction suppress blurring in both wide-angle shots and powerful zoom shots.In addition to the O.I.S. + system, it also more powerful stabilisation correction with O.I.S. Lock.
"With amazing broadcast-standard 3MOS technology and advanced features such as a manual ring, 5.1-channel surround sound as well as the advanced Hybrid O.I.S + system, the HC-X900M is a feature-rich camcorder with impressive capabilities," says Doug Campbell, Product Marketing Manager, Camcorder, Panasonic Australia.
The camcorder can also shoot Full HD 3D with a new optional 3D conversion lens priced at $399 and boasts an increased brightness to F2.4 as well as 1.5x digital zooming.
Click to enlarge
The camcorder also offers 2D to 3D conversion and the ability to view 3D via the LCD screen as you shoot and there's no need for glasses when viewing 3D images.
3D is recorded using the MVC (Multiview Video Coding) system of the AVCHD 3D format. During 3D recording, the right-eye and left-eye images are both recorded and played in Full HD quality, using the Frame Sequential Method, which results in a lifelike ambience.
|"Panasonic is proud to continue its strong heritage in camcorders with the release of this latest model. This camcorder is designed for the enthusiast videographer who wants to capture truly stunning images," said Campbell. |
The HC-X900M further reduces noise by 40% when compared to last year's HDC-SD900, thanks to the advanced 3MOS sensor's pixel shift technology and features a manual ring for easy and convenient fingertip-control of commonly-used settings, including focus, zoom, exposure, shutter speed and white balance.
For beginners who are looking for a more intuitive setting, the HC-X900M also includes popular iA (Intelligent Auto) function which automatically selects the most suitable shooting mode.
There are six iA functions: Face Recognition, the new HYBRID O.I.S. +, AF/AE Tracking, Intelligent Scene Selector, Face Detection and Intelligent Contrast Control.
Even without mounting the conversion lens, images shot in 2D can be converted to 3D thanks to the new 2D to 3D Conversion function.
Users can play back 3D videos recorded using the 3D lens on 3DTVs, including Panasonic VIERA 3DTVs - either by connecting the Camcorder to the TV via the optional 3D-compatible Mini HDMI cable, or via the SD card slot of any AVCHD-compatible player/recorder.
The camcorder is supplied with HD Writer AE 4.1 PC editing software for 2D and 3D editing (Windows OS) and you can Import your recorded 3D footage to PC via SD Card slot or HDMI cable.
The software allows easy uploading of video clips to YouTube and Facebook, and the iFrame video recording format, which is optimal for Mac users to import quickly and maintain small file sizes, is also supported.
Also, the ordinarily time-consuming task of converting and archiving data from 50p to AVCHD or MPEG-2 format can be easily done at high speed by connecting the 3MOS camcorder to a PC with a USB cable and using the Conversion Assist function.
Other HC-X900M features include:
· 32GB built-in memory, plus an SD Memory Card slot that supports SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards.
· Zoom Microphone, which links the microphone's zoom action to the camera's action and reduces surrounding noise, making it possible to record target sounds with superb clarity. The HC-X900M boasts 5.1-channel surround sound and noise is reduced by -20 dB while zooming.
|· The Electronic Viewfinder provides greater precision when shooting|
· The Wind Noise Canceller automatically detects and suppresses only wind noise to ensure natural sounds with lifelike ambience.
· Pre Record function continually records three seconds of buffer memory so you don't miss those spontaneous moments.
· Eco mode automatically turns off the power when the camcorder is not operated for five minutes, reducing wasteful energy use and saving battery power.
· For easy playback, insert the SD card into the slot of a compatible VIERA TV or AVCHD-compatible player/recorder. VIERA Link compatibility allows the user to simply connect a camcorder to a compatible VIERA TV via a Mini HDMI cable, and operate it using the TV remote control and following on-screen prompts.
· Optional accessories - including the VW-CLT2 3D conversion lens; a Wide Conversion Lens (VW-W4907H); Filter Kit (VW-LF49N); a Video DC Light (VW-LDC103) for illuminating dark scenes, with a switchable Spot/Wide function that allows the lighting range to be selected according to the scene; a Shoe Adaptor (VW-SK12) for attaching multiple accessories; Stereo Microphone (VW-VMS2); and DVD Burner (VW-BN01E).
Included accessories: Li-ion battery, AC Adaptor, AC Cable, DC Cable, lens hood, Shoe Adaptor, IR Remote Control, USB Cable, AV Multi Cable, HD Writer AE 4.1 PC editing software.
The HC-X900M will be available from consumer electronics and photographic retailers from April. Visit www.panasonic.com.au or contact Panasonic on 132 600.
Apr/May 2011 issue
reviews the hot new iPhone attach device, the Zeppelin Air. And we look at what's going on in the tablet space...